Sir Colin Campbell
It stood in the Stonehouse section of Union Street, between the long-gone Duke of Clarence and the Royal Sovereign (now the Firkin Doghouse). Like so many of the pubs in the Three Towns and particularly Union Street where Royal, Naval or Military links abound in the naming of pubs, this establishment was named long before Colin Campbell (later Sir Colin) served Plymouth as Town Clerk (hence Colin Campbell Court), and instead commemorates the man who commanded the Highland Brigade in the Crimean War (1853-56), Sir Colin Campbell (later Baron Clyde) of Glasgow.
Born Colin Macliver in 1792, Campbell, the son of a carpenter, distinguished himself in the Peninsula War, and was made a Captain, becoming a Lieutenant Colonel in 1837 in the second Sikh War. In later years, as Commander in Chief in India, he swiftly stamped out a rebellion (at the battle of Lucknow, which was for a time also commemorated in a Plymouth street name) and was rewarded with his baronetcy.
1857 - William Brokenshire
1862 - Edwin Ford
1885 - Mrs Fanny Ford