Standing at the bottom of old High Street, almost at the end of the Parade (there were two more properties in the street here before McMullin’s warehouse was built in the middle of the nineteenth century) was a short-lived beerhouse apparently known as the Shamrock (possibly name after a ship or a barge).
The property had earlier served as a lodging house and for more than seventy subsequent years it run by, first Samuel Cooke and then his son John (pictured here with his family c.1900) as a dairy. In more recent years the property, which has been owned for the last fifty years by the Plymouth Barbican Association, was rented by artist Robert Lenkiewicz and many will recognise familiar features still in place from over 100 years ago.
1857 - John Symons
1862 - Jane Barfield