Queen’s Head (Frankfort Street)
Pulled down in the late 1880s to make way for a major new office block – Russell Buildings – on the corner of Frankfort Street and Russell Street, the Queen’s Head was one of three doomed premises; Colwill & Co., hat manufacturers and Miss Clase’s fancy repository were the other two. Cohen’s, the pawnbrokers, alongside, survived the redevelopment and was still standing when the Blitz began.
Our first reference to the Queens was some forty years before the redevelopment and it would suggest that it’s safe to assume that the pub was named soon after the accession of the eighteen year old Queen Victoria 20 June 1837 and therefore in her honour.
1847 - John Prout
1852 - Thomas Charlick
1877 - M Charlick
1880 - Mrs M Charlick
1885 - JE Blackler