The Teutonic knights who conquered Prussian rode under black cross on a white flag and it was the Holy Roman Emperor who granted them the right to incorporate the black eagle of the Holy Roman Empire on their Arms. In 1701 King Frederick changed his arms (a red eagle on a white background) for what has henceforth been known as the black ‘Prussian eagle’, it later became the symbol of a united Germany in recognition of Prussia’s role under Otto von Bismark in helping bring that about in 1871.
Meanwhile in his Antiquarian Survey of the Barbican area conducted in 1918, A.S.Parker located the Prussian Eagle on his map at No.13 Woolster Street – he has crossed out the earlier name Vintry Street – and he separately dated the building to be early nineteenth century – 1800-1820. The site has long since been redeveloped as part of Vauxhall Street and is just east of the junction with Buckwell Street (which was High Street).
1856 - William Creber
1857 - Henry Hynes