Navy and Military
Situated on the corner of Canterbury Street and Prospect Row, the prospect from the Navy and Military pub would have been looking out across to the Royal Laboratory a little to the south of the other side of the road. The view would have been uninterrupted as, at that time, there were only one or two buildings on the south side of Prospect Row, none of which would have affected that outlook.
The Laboratory consisted of workshops for smiths, harness-makers and other artificers ‘whose services are necessary in the fitting out of a military expedition’ – hence the appropriate name for the pub. For whatever reason, however the pub closed sometime around 1860 and later in the nineteenth century the laboratory complex was adapted for use as a military barracks.
1850 - James Honey
1857 - Richard Warren