Lion and Anchor
Time was when running south of, and parallel to Fore Street, Devonport, there was a somewhat shorter thoroughfare known as Cherry Garden Street. Later known as York Street the area encompassed by it was absorbed by the Admiralty extension to South Yard fifty years ago, but even that appears to be a good hundred years after time had been called in the Lion & Anchor.
An unusual name for a pub the twin motif was, some years our first record of the inn, adopted as the hallmark for Gorham Silver, in Providence, Rhode Island (in America) in 1831, and subsequently used by another silversmith in Birmingham. The pub itself seemingly thrived in Devonport’s golden era, an era that never fully recovered after the Napoleonic Wars.
1822 - William Taher
1830 - John Stoker