House of Commons
It stood in that short thoroughfare that connected King Street to Union Street (on a line that would have run today from the western side of Derry’s Cross roundabout through to the southern entrance to the Pannier Market).
A somewhat distinctive – and highly unusual – name for a pub there is, however, a tenuous connection with Plymouth that may just explain the situation.
In 1852 Charles Barry, the celebrated London architect, was knighted. Among the many London buildings he designed were the Traveller’s Club, the Reform Club and the Palace of Westminster – the Houses of Parliament – including, of course, the House of Commons. That same year, 1852, one of Barry’s projects built outside of London was completed – the new ‘Factory’ (Engineering Department) of Keyham Steamyard. Was this therefore the inspiration for naming this Queen Street pub that was licensed around the same time.
1856 - George Harris
1857 - Joseph Ough
1865 - GH Slogett
1867 - Robert Powlesland
1870 - James Denniford