Harp and Lion
The Plymouth half of Union Street was still relatively rural when the railway arrived in 1849, however it didn’t take long for the complexion on the area to change quite radically as industry of all types filled many of the erstwhile open spaces and housing for the workers filled the spaces inbetween.. Nurseries and gardens, both domestic and commercial, were the prime casualties, but there were a number of other changes too as Plymouth’s Adelaide Street was renamed and absorbed into Rendle Street (presumably to avoid confusion with the Stonehouse Adelaide Street which Rendle Street ran into).
There was an iron and brass foundry at the eastern end of Adelaide Street (Plymouth), Murch and Willoughby were listed as proprietors in 1852, but in soon afterwards it was listed as Willoughby Brothers’ business and one can’t help but wonder if Murch was bought out and opened this short-lived pub instead.
1857 - Thomas Murch
1862 - Margaret Murch
1865 - Henry Manley