Gun Wharf Inn
Not surprisingly this unusually named pub stood directly opposite the gates to what was, in the early days of its existence, known as the Gun Wharf, and which later became known by the epithet it still bears today, the Morice Yard.
Originally No.24 or 28 Queen Street, the pub stood on the corner of Queen Street and Ordnance Street, the latter name also acknowledging the proximity of Devonport’s old naval arsenal. Today a small football pitch covers the pub site and more besides as no early buildings now survive on the eastern side of the Queen Street, while outside of the gatehouse and Gun Wharf wall, and only the isolated old corner block of Cannon Street still stands along the western line.
The short-lived hostelry appears to have closed sometime around 1870.
1852 - Thomas Hayes
1857 - Edward Seaward