Forester’s Arms (Willow Street)
It stood on the north side of Willow Street, just in from the corner with Russell Street. In the 1860s it was right next to Webber and Hicks’ South Devon Brewery but by the beginning of the twentieth century Jackson’s Court had come to occupy that site. Today this location is buried beneath the service court to the east of the former Woolworth’s building, between New George Street and Cornwall Street.
The first licensee we have details of was Humphrey Stoyle who ran the Foresters with his wife Elizabeth. It would appear that sometime around 1870 Humphrey either stood down or quit this mortal coil (he was then in his mid-sixties) and his son John, a plasterer by trade, took over for a few years.
The Foresters’ appears to have closed just before the start of the First World War.
1861 - Humphrey Stoyle
1873 - John Stoyle
1877 - William Down
1885 - Mrs L Kelway
1893 - William Henry Tremeer
1911 - Mrs Tremeer