Originally part of Fore Street, Stonehouse, it became part of High Street, Stonehouse in the 1890s. Renumbered in the twentieth century, it was, confusingly once 66 High Street, which later became the number of the Duke of Cornwall pub, on the corner of Market Street. The Edinburgh, at No.61, was a little to the east of that junction, opposite the entrance to Valletort Place.
Finding itself in an area awaiting redevelopment in the early 1920s a provisional grant for compensation was made on 3 March 1921 and on the last day of that year the pub closed and compensation was paid to the then owners, Walter & Phillips, the brewers from Totnes.
Quite why it was called the Edinburgh Arms is unclear but it was almost certainly a Royal reference – there was a Duke of Edinburgh pub in Flora Street, dating from the 1870s, which was named after the ex-naval landlord’s former Commanding Officer.
1852 - William Thompson
1867 - Henry Roynon
1880 - JJ Lintern
1890 - Frederick Glasser
1898 - Edwin Herd
1912 - William Piney