Its address was 23 Old Town Street and it stood on a site that now approximates to the Old Town Street entrance to the new Drake Circus shopping centre. Curiously enough however the building that housed the Devonshire was gone long before the shopping centre was developed, indeed, long before the enemy bombing of the Second World War occasioned the complete rebuilding of Old Town Street.
It was sometime around the middle of the nineteenth century that a decision was taken to create a third access road from Plymouth Market, which stood behind the western side of Old Town Street, out into Old Town Street itself – East Street and Drake Street already performed a similar further down, and up, the street. Essentially this meant sacrificing or adapting number of properties in Old Town Street, among them No.24, the Cornish Inn, and No.25, the Devonshire.
1847 - Thomas Short
1852 - Samuel Soper
1862 - J Elliott