Clarence Hotel (Southside Street)
For a significant part of the nineteenth century, No.44 Southside Street, on the Barbican, was known as the Clarence Hotel. It was a popular name in the Three Towns and each, Devonport, Plymouth and Stonehouse, had their own. Named after the Duke of Clarence, the popular ‘Sailor King’, only one of the various hostelries locally named in his honour, still operates as a pub – the Clarence Hotel on the corner of Manor Street and Clarence Place, in Stonehouse.
Interestingly enough there are two statues to King Billy in the area, one on the top of the Royal William Yard Gate, which was to be named after his brother, but his brother died before the yard was finished, and the other by Slip No.1 of the Dockyard. It is thought that this was either a ship’s figurehead or the prototype for the William Yard Statue (the pose is very similar) or indeed for the statue that was to go, had the funds been available, on top of Devonport Column.
1830 - John Driscoll
1850 - Alex Blake
1865 - James Gard