Cherry Garden Inn
The Cherry Garden Inn, stood in Catherine Street, however its name came from the street that ran east off Catherine Street, just a few yards away – Cherry Garden Street.
Running parallel to Fore Street this, much narrower thoroughfare, was originally known as Back Street, but towards the end of the nineteenth century was rechristened York Street. Somewhat enigmatically Whitfeld, writing at the end of the 1890s explained that the name was ‘altered to meet the objections of sailors who did not care to let their comrades know that their wives resided in the locality.’
Like Fore Street itself, Cherry Garden Street was home to a number of pubs, including the Lion & Anchor, Elephant & Castle, Navy & Army and the Golden Ball.
Today the site stands about fifty yards due east of the old gates into South Yard.
1865-1891 - William Holman