Carpenter’s Arms (Notte Street)
Time was when almost every one of the handful of properties on the south side of Notte Street, between High Street and Southside Street, were pubs – among them the Bristol Tap and No.3 and the Carpenter’s Arms at No.2. All of them are long since gone, although the buildings that housed them remained standing for many years as can be seen from this distant section of a pre-war picture of the area.
Directly opposite stood the Yarmouth Inn, a building that also later ceased to operate as a pub, but which, somewhat unusually, was later pressed back into that service and today very much thrives as the Notte Inn, the only current hostelry in a street that has been home to eight or more pubs over the last two hundred years.
1847 - John Coad
1857 - Charles Douch
1865 - William Easle