Time was when each of the Three Towns had its own Butcher’s Arms, there was one in Barrack Street, Devonport, another in Cremyll Street, Stonehouse (still standing) and a third in Tavistock Road (opposite the Library where the Levinsky building now stands) – all three were in close proximity to a slaughterhouse.
Plymouth’s slaughterhouse and meat market moved in the early nineteenth century however, prior to that it had been near St Andrew’s Church not far from the appropriately named Butcher’s Lane that ran westwards off Old Town Street. Butcher’s Lane later became Treville Street. The street was redeveloped in the early 1800s but in its heyday, at the bottom of the street, stood an even earlier Butcher’s Arms “a great resort for farmers of inordinate drinking capacity”.
1804 - Elizabeth Whiting