Time was when the Three Towns boasted two pubs that went by the name of the Artillery Arms, today, one still survives, in Pound Street, Stonehouse, while the other, which was rechristened, and perhaps redeveloped, as the Marlborough Hotel in the 1890s, is no longer with us. Meanwhile at the other end of New Passage Hill, from the erstwhile Marlborough Hotel is Tamar Street, a thoroughfare that today bears little or no trace to the street that bore that name in the nineteenth century. Back then there were a number of breweries in the area and a handful of pubs in Tamar Street: the Crown, the Ferryboat, the Sunderland & Liverpool, the Tamar and Artillery Tap. Most of them disappeared in the early 1930s, making way for the flats at Pottery Quay, which themselves are now long gone. However, the Artillery Tap was even more short-lived and appears to have closed a hundred years before that.
1830 - Henry Michell