For a long time the lane was used as a through way and it was never necessary to refer to it by name. Then came the day that an official map of the area was needed. The deeds of the London Inn were scrutinized and the copperplate “L” of Lugar was misread as “S”.
Thanks to Sally Luscombe of Plympton St Maurice wording of the deed in question read: “All that stable formerly a dwelling house situated opposite the London Inn, St Maurice and near the market cross and little herb garden thereto belonging adjacent a little lane known as Lugar Lane.”
The Lugar family were well known in the area at one time, James Lugar marrying Mary Tucker in 1798. They had four children in the next five years – although only one of them survived infancy. There are still Lugars around in the area today, but it is not clear if there is a direct family connection.