Stott Close

When Efford Manor was sold in 1912 some of the land was bought by Plymouth City Council, some by the Co-op (for market gardens) and some became the site of a Carmelite Convent. Some fifty years or so later part of that land was redeveloped to accommodate Stott Close, named after one of the area’s most respected councillors Frederick J Stott. A well-loved family man who lived in the heart of his ward, in Hanover Road, Fred Stott was also great “man of the people” and was one of the busy generation of post-war councillors who did not only worked hard for his constituents but also served the City as a Justice of the Peace and was Lord Mayor of Plymouth in 1960-61, when the new Council House and Civic Centre was beginning to take shape. He was Deputy Leader of the Labour group on the City Council when he died in September 1977, some years after Stott Close had been christened in his honour.