Richard Edward Lloyd Maunsell is one of three railway engineers commemorated in the naming of a line of comparatively modern streets just up from Wolseley Road and along the line of the erstwhile London and South Western Railway. A pupil of Henry Ivatt on the Great South & Western Railway in Ireland he joined the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway in 1891. There he had spells in the workshops, drawing office and running sheds. Three years later he was appointed assistant locomotive superintendent on the East India Railway before returning to Inchicore in Ireland as works manager in 1896.
In 1913, the much-travelled forty-five year-old Maunsell was appointed Chief Mechanical Engineer for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway and there he assembled a design team that included Pearson, Holcroft and Clayton. Between them they developed the modern 2-6-0 and 2-6-4 tank locomotives and greatly improved the existing 4-4-0 passenger locomotives. The London & South Western Urie 4-6-0 was greatly improved under his command on the Southern Railway and when he retired he was succeeded by Oliver Bulleid. Maunsell died in 1944, he was 76.