Camborne Close sits just off Truro Drive and is very close to Redruth Close, leaving us in no doubt as to inspiration for the names of these 1980’s Plymouth street names. A busy market town in Cornwall, Camborne is just three miles southwest of Redruth and only twelve miles from Truro. Famous for its School of Metalliferous Mining (now Camborne School of Mines) the town is amalgamated with Redruth as an urban district and has a population of around 20,000. Outside Camborne Library there is a statue to the town’s most famous son, Richard Trevithick (1771-1833) whose pioneering work in deep-shaft mining revolutionised mining the world over. As for the name Camborne itself, our earliest reference is from the late twelfth century where we find mention of Balcherus de Camberon, the relevant element being a compound, it is thought, of “camm” and “bronn” – giving us a “crooked round protuberance or hill”.