Brunswick Road

Prior to the post-war widening of Exeter Street there was an impressive terrace of houses – that many felt should have been preserved – forming part of it that was known as Brunswick Terrace. Brunswick Place also formed part of the thoroughfare and there is still a part of the neighbouring Brunswick Road remaining. There is also a Brunswick Place in Devonport. The choice of the name, here and elsewhere around the country was generally intended as a compliment to King George III. For the German, Hanovarian King George, Brunswick was the second capital. Located on the Oker River in Lower Saxony, the city, at the time of King George sported many fine historic buildings, including the fine 14/15th century town hall. Many of these, including the town hall (which was later rebuilt), were destroyed or damaged in the Second World War.

Back here in Plymouth Brunswick Terrace too was war damaged along with various other parts of Exeter Street. The street incidentally was first widened to commemorate George’s Jubilee in 1810 in a succession of moves that came in the wake of the development of the Embankment.