Artillery Place

While it is quite possible that there had been some simple form of defensive outpost below Teat’s Hill in Tudor times there appears to be no record of any workings until 1667 when, as part of the measure undertaken in response to the threat from the Dutch, five guns and carriages were taken from the captured ship “Katherine” and “landed at Peake’s Point for the new battery” (FW Woodward). We are also told that Peter Buller carried warlike stores – powder Match, Bullett, Springs and other necessaries” to and from St Nicholas (Drake’s) Island, Mount Batten and Peake’s Point. Curiously enough although we later came to know this battery by the name Queen Anne’s Battery, it would appear that it was never known by that name during her lifetime or reign and that furthermore by the time it did acquire that title it was no longer in use as a battery. It would however appear that the name Artillery Place owes its origin to that erstwhile neighbouring gunnery post.